AnodeFlex™ is a unique and cost effective way to keep the operation of a pipeline in compliance with DOT or other cathodic protection regulations. It provides consistent and uniform current distribution over the entire steel structure and will eliminate many of the installation and current distribution difficulties inherent in conventional remote groundbed anodes.
One of the major uses of the AnodeFlex™ system is in rehabilitation of pipelines, where ageing and degrading coatings no longer provide adequate corrosion protection. Re-coating the pipe is a very expensive solution, often requiring to shut down the pipeline over an extended period of time. In addition, the pipeline operator is facing major problems of obtaining environmental permits and disposal of toxic materials.
What is the AnodeFlex™ system
AnodeFlex™ is an energy efficient, flexible long linear anode providing an impressed current for use in cathodic protection systems for buried pipelines, tanks and other steel structures. Placed alongside a pipe or other buried metal structure, AnodeFlex™ provides uniform cathodic protection over the full length of the protected structure.
The Anodeflex system is comprised of five (5) main elements:
- A copper conductor serving as a low resistance busbar to deliver the required current
- A special conductive polymer that seals the conductor from chemical attack while allowing current to flow into the soil
- A high performance coke breeze that ensures a consistent low resistance to earth
- A fabric jacket securing the coke breeze around the anode cable
- A polyethylene fiber wound around the fabric jacking providing mechanical strength to the system
Why use AnodeFlex™ systems
AnodeFlex™ is a unique and cost effective way to keep the operation of a pipeline in compliance with DOT or other cathodic protection regulations. It provides consistent and uniform current distribution over the entire steel structure and will eliminate many of the installation and current distribution difficulties inherent in conventional remote groundbed anodes. Through a lock and seal mechanism, the Anodeflex splice system provides a high integrity reliable long-term anode to cable and anode to anode connections.
Anodeflex™ can be installed in hand excavations, standard cable laying equipment or trenchless technologies. Due to its high tensile strength, Anodeflex™ is particulary suitable for the cathodic protection of HDD pipe and casing requirements.
Features and Benefits
- Proven in-service performance of 30+ years in the pipeline industry
- Design life expectancy of 20+ years
- The linear anode delivers cathodic protection at consistent levels along the steel structure
- Consistent current output avoids fluctuating output demands and ensures an energy efficient system
- Minimizes the effects of interference to adjacent structures
- Compensates for the adverse effects of DC stray current
- Provides an excellent low resistance earth for discharging AC voltages from pipelines
- Through installation in the Pipeline ROW, impacts on the surrounding environment are minimized
- Rehabilitation through HDD is cost effective
- Long continuous circuit lengths ensures stablity and integrity of the system
- High Tensile Strength allows for greater mechanical resistance
- Pre-packaged with backfill it is easy to install
- AnodeFlex 1500-52mA/m (16mA/ft) w/coke
- AnodeFlex 3000 Series End Cap Splice Kit
- AnodeFlex 3000 Series In-Line-Splice Kit
- AnodeFlex 3000 Series Tee Splice Kit
- AnodeFlex 3020 – 65mA/m (20mA/ft)
- AnodeFlex 3100 – 328mA/m (100mA/ft)
- AnodeFlex 3200 – 656mA/m (200mA/ft)
- AnodeFlex End Cap Splice Kit
- AnodeFlex In Line Splice Kit
- AnodeFlex Tee Splice Kit